Wednesday, February 14, 2018

#2,676: Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup


In honor of Lent starting today (Happy Valentine's Day too!), I decided to make a vegetarian meal in my Instant Pot.  Let's be real, I just wanted another excuse to try it out!  I made this recipe last night after the kids went to bed and it was done in no time.  Normally I'd throw my lentils on the stove for close to an hour or in my crockpot for 8 hours.  This way I was able to sit and watch some TV and relax while I waited for it to finish.  

This is really, really good.  Although I love lentils and tortilla soup, so combining the two makes it even better.  This is such a comforting, filling meal.  I'm a huge fan!!  And definitely add the greek yogurt or sour cream on top...that was good!  I wish I had some cilantro on hand right now too, because I'd love that added on top! 



1 cup diced onion
1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
1 bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
2.5 cups vegetable broth 
1 can (14-15 oz) tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, extra to taste (I used petite diced)
1/2 cup salsa verde (I used picante sauce)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained + rinsed
1 (15 oz) can pinto  beans, drained + rinsed
1 cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
3/4 cup dried red lentils
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream (I used a tbsp of cream cheese and a big splash of skim milk)
salt and pepper to taste

Optional Toppings for Serving: 
crushed tortilla chips
shredded cheddar or mexi-blend cheese
sliced or diced jalapeños
chopped red onion
fresh pico de gallo or salsa
sliced avocado
fresh cilantro
sour cream or greek yogurt

Add the onion, olive oil, jalapeno, bell pepper, corn, lentils, black beans, pinto beans, broth, tomato sauce, tomato pate, salsa, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper into the Instant Pot. 

Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 15 minutes. When done, manually release the pressure. 
Stir in the cream.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add your favorite toppings and enjoy. 

Feel free to adjust the consistency of the soup to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment