Saturday, February 10, 2018

#2,672: Oatmeal Apple Banana Muffins


Right after I had my gallbladder surgery, I couldn't sit and just rest, so I decided to make something low-fat, healthy, and that I could easily grab if/when I was hungry.  Thankfully, I had all of the ingredients on hand for this recipe (including overripe bananas!), so I decided to give these a try.

Although I liked these muffins, I liked them best the day or two after I made these.  The longer these sat in the fridge, the denser they seemed to become.  I wonder if I should have froze these the next morning instead of putting them in the fridge.  Since it had apples in it, I figured these probably wouldn't last long if I left them sitting out on the counter.

My kids enjoyed these too, but they only wanted them the first day for their breakfast.  When I offered them to them a second time, only one kid wanted them again.  That's not a great sign for my kiddos.  BUT I love that there is so little sugar in this recipe (which is probably why they weren't gaga over these).  They are healthy though, and they are good...I'd make them again, but just not on a super regular basis. 

1½ cups large rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used all-purpose flour)
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
4 tbsp vegetable oil
6 tbsp sugar
⅔ cup milk
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1 cup grated unpeeled apple (approximately one large apple)

Mix together the oatmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt,cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.

Beat together the eggs. oil and sugar until fluffy.  Blend in the milk.  Fold in the dry ingredients and when the flour is almost incorporated fold in the mashed banana and grated apple.  Do not over mix. Fold in only until the fruit is mixed through the batter.

Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Best served warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment