Friday, September 4, 2015

#1,614: Broccoli Salad with Sweet Miso Dressing


Let me start by saying, I made a few alterations/substitutions to this meal becasue I was cooking with things I had on hand or could find.  LOL  Where in the world do you find red miso?!?!?!  I'm all for looking for/buying/trying new ingredients, but I do not have time to run from store to store looking for ONE ingredient.  So I eventually decided just to leave out the red miso and use some sesame oil instead.  Yes, I know this totally changes the flavor of this recipe but my goodness, close enough!

I didn't totally love this recipe (and no, it's not b/c of the lack of red miso), but I don't love raw broccoli. I actually want to try this recipe again but roast the broccoli first.  That sounds so much better to me! I also do not have patience to dry out the mushrooms, so I just roasted those for about 15 minutes as well.  


Now with all that said, I did LIKE this recipe, I just didn't fall in love with it like I wanted to.  


4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
¼ cup avocado oil or organic canola oil, divided (I used olive oil)
¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
2 tablespoons red miso (I used sesame oil)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoons agave or honey
6 cups chopped raw broccoli
½ cup dried sweetened cranberries (I omitted b/c I took them to school for the girls to have for breakfast!)
¼ cup minced red onion
¼ cup toasted unsalted sunflower seeds (I swore I had some sort of nut in my house but didn't, so I just used sesame seeds.  Any other nut/seed would have been better)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Toss shiitake mushrooms, 1 tablespoon oil, smoked paprika and salt in a medium bowl. Spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring and turning occasionally until the mushrooms are dried out and browned, 22 to 28 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet.


Whisk the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, miso, vinegar and agave in a large bowl. Add broccoli, cranberries, onion, sunflower seeds and the shiitake mushrooms. Toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment