Friday, September 4, 2015

#1,610: Crockpot Turkey Breast


I kept putting off this recipe for a few reasons....turkeys are expensive; I hate taking the meat off of the bones with whole birds; I could only find gigantic turkeys and figured we'd have to eat it for a week.  Then I went to a famous big box store that I avoid like the plague because I was desperate to get some household items and needed groceries too (might as well kill 2 birds with one stone and pray for patience IN the store) and wouldn't you know, I actually found a SMALL boneless turkey...and it was only $10.  I figured that was enough signs to stop avoiding this recipe.  :) 

Then I did something really stupid...I stuck the whole bag in the freezer.  I figured I wanted it to be frozen since I was going to cook it all day in the crockpot and it was a tiny bird...but I didn't remove the gravy packet first.  So we had to do a little bit of thawing in cold water to get it removed.  That was one less step I wanted to have to do in my already hectic mornings!  That's ok though...it all got in the crockpot eventually.  

This recipe is super easy to get in the crockpot and I was pretty excited that my family enjoyed this a lot.  Now it is a little dry, so my personal opinion is that you need to make some gravy to go with it...but who likes turkey without gravy?!?!  Oh yeah, my husband.  He loved it as is.  

About 6 lb of boneless skinless turkey breast (Mine was only 3 lbs)
1 envelope of onion soup mix
3/4 c water
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp season salt
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil


Place turkey breast in the crockpot and then whisk together onion soup mix and water and pour over the turkey.  Mix the remaining spices together and sprinkle over the top.  Let cook on low for 6-8 hours (I cooked mine from frozen for about 10 hours).  Internal temperature should be 165 degrees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment