Sunday, April 27, 2014

#1,237: Grilled Pork Chops with Swiss Chard Salad


 I have never eaten swiss chard before, so I almost didn't buy it and was going to substitute kale or spinach instead.  But, at the last minute I had Brian pick some up from the store (at least I knew what it was, he had to ask what section of the grocery store it would be in!) and decided to give it a try.  

We loved this dinner.  Now, let me rephrase that and be slightly more accurate.  I loved this meal as pictured above.  My family enjoyed just the pork chop, although Allison did eat her salad too, as did Chloe but hers was doused in ranch dressing.  Two thumbs up from this family...and I think swiss chard will be a returning vegetable for me as well!

4 bone-in pork chops (1/2 inch thick, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs. total) (I obviously used thin cut, boneless pork chops)
Salt and pepper
1 ounce hazelnuts (about 1/4 cup) (I used almonds)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 pound red swiss chard, stemmed and shredded (about 8 cups)

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Preheat a small, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the hazelnuts and toast, stirring frequently, until the skins are loosened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a dry kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove the skins; discard the skins. Coarsely chop the nuts.

Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. in a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar; lemon zest and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle 4 tsp. of the vinaigrette onto the pork chops, rubbing all over to coat. Oil the grate and grill the chops until grill marks appear on one side, about 3 minutes; flip and grill again until just cooked through, about 2 minutes.

In a large bowl, toss the swiss chard with the remaining vinaigrette and the hazelnuts. Serve with the pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment