Sunday, April 6, 2014

#1,227: Slow-Cooker Eggplant Parmesan


If you love the crispiness of a fried/baked eggplant parmesan, you might not like this recipe.  I felt it was a little mushy in texture.  But, if the non-crispy/fried texture of eggplant parmesan doesn't bother you, you just might fall in love with the simplicity of this recipe.  It is SOO easy.  I whipped this together in about 10 minutes (minus the time I was supposed to draw out the moisture from this with salt...I skipped that step.  I don't care enough to wait!).  I really, really enjoyed this recipe!  I personally liked the addition of the sausage, but it would be good without as well. 

1  large eggplants (about 2 lb. total), peeled and sliced into 1/3-inch rounds
Salt
1 jar marinara sauce
2  large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups seasoned bread crumbs (I used panko) 
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
I added some cooked bulk Italian sausage...yum!

(I skipped this step.  You probably should do it.  I just don't care to wait that long and my eggplant always turns brown waiting) Sprinkle eggplant on both sides with salt, place on paper towels, and let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse; blot dry.

Mist inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread 1/4 cup marinara over bottom. Dip eggplant in egg, then coat with bread crumbs. Arrange a layer of eggplant over sauce. Top with about 1/3 cup sauce; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Layer sauce, eggplant and cheese, ending with cheese (about 4 layers), filling cooker 2/3 full.

Cover and cook on low until eggplant is soft and cheese has melted, 4 to 6 hours. Spoon onto plates, sprinkle with basil and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment