Saturday, April 12, 2014

#1,228: Cornbread Hamburger Pie



Yum, yum, yum!  This Cornbread Hamburger Pie was not only easy, it was quite good too.  The tomato soup gave this a different flavor, but it was still very good.  However, I made a huge mistake with this recipe.  I didn't puree the salsa like I normally do.  So what did my family do?  They kept picking out all of the peppers and tomatoes.  Ugh, I hate when I forget to do something so simple like that.  As soon as I puree it, they have no idea it's in there.  I will definitely make this again though...and remember to puree my salsa or use picante sauce so it's less chunky.  

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
1 pound ground beef
salt and pepper
1 can (10 ounce) condensed tomato soup
1/4 cup salsa
2 tablespoon ketchup
1 package (8.5 ounce) Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a 10-inch ovenproof sauté pan, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onion until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in the beef and cook, breaking it up and stirring, until no pink remains, about 4-5 minutes; drain off grease. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the soup, salsa, and ketchup until thoroughly combined.
In the meantime, in a medium bowl, whisk together the corn muffin mix, egg, and milk. Let sit for 2 minutes.  Spoon the corn muffin mix over the beef. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes until golden browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment