Tuesday, October 30, 2012

#709: Freezer-Friendly Lasagna Casserole


I think this recipe has been on my pinterest board for about 6 months.  I've been putting off making it because I have so many similar recipes to it and I always think I've already made it.  (Aren't most of my recipes similar anyways?  You can tell what type of foods my family likes).  Anyway, I was looking for a very inexpensive meal to make for dinner, and one in which I had most of the ingredients on hand.  Fortunately I had ALL of these ingredients so I made it for dinner but just used 1/2 lb ground turkey instead of a full pound (1 pound of ground turkey was able to make 2 different meals for us). 

We liked this but all of us agreed it needed a lot more sauce.  Next time I'll pour more sauce on top and then add some more shredded cheese.  It was good though.


1 pound ground beef or sausage
1 onion, chopped
8 ounces of uncooked noodles
1/2 jar spaghetti sauce
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups ricotta cheese

8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon parsley (chopped fresh or dried)
salt/pepper


Brown ground beef and onion until cooked. While the meat is cooking, boil the noodles according to package directions.
Mix spaghetti sauce with diced tomatoes and browned ground beef. Set 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese aside to sprinkle on the top. Combine the rest of the mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, beaten eggs, parsley and salt and pepper.
Layer a third of the meat sauce, then the noodles and then the cheese mixture in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Repeat two more times. Sprinkle with cheese.

To freeze: Cover well with foil and freeze for up to a month.
To serve: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes (until bubbly). Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment