Monday, October 8, 2012

#694: Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers


I absolutely love veggie burgers.  I've been a big fan since I was in high school (OMG, that's about 17 years now...ugh, I'm getting old!).  But I've never been successful at making them myself.  So I'm attempting these in hopes of them being super delicious, and to share with my co-workers for lunch.  Of course, I'll have to try them out first myself to make sure they are actually worth sharing. 

BTW: I've never bought tahini before and had to buy a ridiculously large jar of it.  So, any tahini using recipes would be appreciated!

I LOVED these.  I hope my co-workers enjoy them as much as I do/did.  In my opinion, these are fantastic.  They are a little sweet, but that was fine with me.  I ate these warm, cold, on toasted bread...doesn't matter how it's prepared, I think they are delicious!!!  I can't wait to make these again. 

2 cans cannellini white beans, drained
1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
2 Tbsp tahini
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 cup wheat flour
salt to taste if needed
Panko crumbs (enough for coating)
vegetable oil for pan
If eating as a "burger" -- Desired toppings for burgers: avocado, Dijon mustard, grain buns, romaine, onion, olive oil, pepper

Bake sweet potato. Peel, place in large mixing bowl. (I put it in the microwave for a few minutes).  Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together.

Mash in seasoning, flour and any additional seasoning. Your mixture will be quite soft and moist. But you should be able to form a patty. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs to thicken the mixture if needed.

Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in a pan over high heat. (This is where the original recipe and I differ.  I needed a lot more vegetable oil to finish cooking all of the patties/burgers.)
Form a patty from mixture and coat in Panko crumbs. Then drop the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled. Cook until browned on both sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment