Monday, October 22, 2012

#705: Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas

 
This recipe has been sitting on one of my pinterest boards for quite a while now.  Every time I thought about making it, I figured it would not be one that my family would be super crazy about.  Boy was I wrong!  Not only did we all enjoy this (my mother-in-law included!), but Allison liked it so much she ate my MIL's AND took a leftover for breakfast the next day. I'd say this was a success. 
 
This is also THE EASIEST recipe.  3 ingredients in the crockpot...and throw the rest of it together when you get home.

BTW: Chloe was not a super huge fan, but she's not my big eater so I don't judge a recipe based on her reviews.  :)

 
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans (15 ounces each) enchilada sauce
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
8 flour tortillas (6 inches)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
Sour cream, optional
 
In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the chicken, enchilada sauce and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a meat is tender.  Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Reserve 1-2/3 cups cooking juices. (I forgot to do this!  That's okay though because I just baked with some cheese on top...fine with us!) Pour the remaining cooking juices into a large bowl; add the beans and shredded chicken. Coat two freezer-safe 8-in. square baking dishes with cooking spray; add 1/2 cup reserved juices to each.
 
Place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in prepared dishes. Pour remaining reserved juices over top; sprinkle with cheese.  Cover and freeze one dish for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second dish at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is lightly browned. Serve with sour cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment