Tuesday, October 23, 2012

#708: Lentils with chicken sausage, spinach and feta cheese


I decided to make this recipe becuase I had lentils in my pantry and love anything with Chicken Sausage!  AND we can all use more beans in our life right?!  This was super easy to throw together.  I cooked it on high when I got home from work and it was ready before I went to bed. 

The lentils make this quite salty so either omit the salt or cut down on the feta!  I didn't love, love, love this, but I liked it and would definitely eat/make this again.  Next week I'm probably going to make our family lentil recipe for the teachers...hopefully they'll like it more than this recipe.  :)

1 cup brown lentils
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 leek, white part only, trimmed and chopped
12 oz pre-cooked chicken sausage, sliced into rounds
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper, or more to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, or more to taste


In a 3-quart slow cooker, add the lentils, chicken broth, leek and sausage. Cook on HIGH for 2-1/2 hours, or on LOW for 5 hours, checking periodically to ensure there is enough liquid to cook the lentils.

After the initial cooking time, when the lentils are almost soft, taste, and add black pepper and salt (if needed). Then stir in the spinach and feta. Cook on LOW for 30 minutes.

Serve hot, at room temperature, or let cool completely and refrigerate, and serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment