Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Road Tripping...Paleo Style



MOST of the food that came with me on our road trip...

Recently we went on a 3 day road trip with the kids through Iowa.  For weeks I tried to plan and organize what I would eat on my Food Fuels plan that would keep me on plan but not have me eating a plain ole' salad for lunch and dinner each day.  I searched pinterest and google trying to find ideas on foods I could take with me.  In the end I ended up bringing a few simple ingredients that would stay cold in a cooler, but would help me if I couldn't find something to eat at our next stops.  I was thrilled that I was able to stay on my plan 100% plus I came home and lost another 2 lbs! So in case there is anyone else out there looking for road trip food ideas, here's what I did and that worked for me. 


First things first:
Pack everything in mason jars!!  I was so afraid my foods were all going to freeze by sitting in a cooler of ice for several days.  Not one thing froze!  My foods never got ruined from the melting water, and even some of my jars were completely submerged in the ice/water and still they stayed dry and cold. 

The only down fall to this is that once a jar is empty, you still have to lug it through your trip with you.  Not a big deal to me, but something to consider.

Next, I probably should put a slight disclaimer...I like to eat my foods cold.  Meatballs, taco meat, turkey burger, whatever.  Yes that's so weird, but it comes in handy when you can't find a microwave or another way to heat up your food!

So what did I bring with me?
Apples

Blueberries
Strawberries
Grapes 

1 gallon of drinking water
Mio Water (flavored drink mix)
Individual bags of cashews (Nice brand from Walgreens)
Power Crunch Bars (delish!)
Cooked turkey bacon chopped
Balsamic chicken salad
Asian meatballs
Shredded Brussel sprouts
Roasted cauliflower and red onion
(Packets of tuna and mustard would be great on this trip too and almost made it into my bag)
Rapberry Balsamic Salad Dressing (1 jar)
Carrots and cucumber slices
Jicima and Bell Pepper strips

Twice, I also got a side salad and ate it with my balsamic chicken salad.  Then another day I ate out at Panera and got a Classic Salad with Chicken (balsamic dressing on the side).  It was definitely easier than I thought it would be.  Yes I pretty much ate the same meals over but it made it easier and I didn't waste any of my foods. 



No comments:

Post a Comment