Monday, June 16, 2014

#1,262: Taco Beef Bake with Cheddar Biscuit Topping


The first thing you might notice is that there is no "cheddar" in the biscuits pictured above.  You would be correct!  I was out of cheddar (I swear there was some in the drawer when I went to the grocery store) so I had to use mozzarella.  It totally changed the taste of this, and cheddar would have been 1000 times better, but I go with what I've got!  Didn't matter, the kids LOVED this.  They literally devoured the pan.  This is a super easy way to use up that leftover taco meat.  All you need (in addition to the taco meat) is canned or frozen corn (we always have it on hand), milk (always in the fridge) and Bisquick (shockingly, we almost always have that on hand too!).  I typically will always make extra taco meat since it freezes so well, but this just might be our "leftover taco night" recipe every time we have tacos.  

1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1 package of taco seasoning mix
1 c salsa (I puree it so the kids don't notice it!)
2 c frozen or canned corn
2 c bisquick mix
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 c milk


Heat oven to 425 degrees.  In a skillet cook beef over medium high heat, stirring ocassionally, until cooked through.  Drain excess grease/fat.  Stir in taco seasoning mix, salsa and corn.  Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.  Pour into an ungreased 8 inch pan or glass baking dish.

Meanwhile in a medium bowl, stir Bisquick, cheese and milk until a soft dough forms.  Drop dough by 12 spoonfuls onto beef mixture.  Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.  (I had to cover mine loosely with foil for about the last 10 minutes so it would continue cooking through without burning the biscuits.)

No comments:

Post a Comment