Friday, October 1, 2010

#44: Slow-Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken


I found this recipe at Kraftfoods and it looked so simple I had to try it this month.  I was a little nervous because it said to cut the chicken into thin strips and then put it in the crock for 6-8 hours on low.  We are gone longer than that, so ours was in the crockpot for 9 hours.  I was afraid this recipe would be really dried out.  But actually it wasn't.  However the girls refused to eat the chicken and although Brian and I both wanted to like this recipe, we really didn't enjoy it.  I THINK it could have been the brand of salsa we used.  The chicken was moist and really tender (Brian didn't like it because he thought it was too over done).  I however liked the consistency of the meat.  The chicken really soaked up the salsa and flavors though and it was just a bit off-putting. Brian ate his in a tortilla shell, and I ate mine over rice with cilantro and green onion. 

I will try this recipe again using a different brand of salsa and not let it cook for as long (6 hours tops!).  If you try this recipe let me know what you think!!   

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
2 Tbsp. (1/2 of 1-1/4-oz. pkg.) TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Taco Seasoning Mix
2 Tbsp. flour
1 each green and red pepper, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
1 cup frozen corn
1-1/2 cups TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
1 cup KRAFT Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese



Toss chicken with taco seasoning and flour in slow cooker. Stir in vegetables and salsa; cover with lid.
Cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours (or on HIGH 3 to 4 hours).
Stir just before serving; top with shredded cheese.
Serve over hot cooked rice topped with sliced green onions and chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment