Sunday, November 27, 2016

#1,846: Sausage, Kale, and Lentil Soup




Whenever I find a recipe with lentils I think of my grandma who used to make them regularly for us and for our family gatherings.  So it's always a nice reminder of her when I make lentils myself (even if it's not her recipe I'm making them with).  I found this recipe in a recent issue of Real Simple Magazine.  It's supposed to be served with crusty bread (which would be delicious!) but I don't have any on hand so no bread for me.  This is quite good...a little underseasoned, but still good.  I decided to add some dried basil, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper.  I think it needed it.  It also does not need the salt (or just a tiny bit of it).  I think it's salty enough with the sausage.  

1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (I used bulk pork sausage)
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed (I used brown lentils)
1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained (I used petite diced)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
5 cups loosely packed baby kale leaves
Baguette, for serving (optional)

Cook the sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high, stirring often, until the meat crumbles and begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion softens and the sausage is browned all over, about 4 more minutes.

Add the stock, stirring and scraping to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven. Add the lentils, tomatoes, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the lentils have softened, 20 to 25 minutes.

Stir in the kale and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 1 minute. Serve with the baguette.

No comments:

Post a Comment