Saturday, November 26, 2016

#1,845: Papa Burger


I came across this recipe in a recent issue of Taste of Home.  It's a pretty regular occurance in my house, that if I have ground turkey in the fridge and I don't know what else to make, to throw together some turkey burgers for our dinner.  It's simple, it's quick, and everyone in my family enjoys it.  When I saw this recipe, it looked good and different enough to want to try, but not so different that my family wouldn't want to try it.  I did not add the additional topping since my family doesn't like anything on their burgers besides catsup and cheese (most of them).  The burgers were moist, and really good, and although my family enjoyed it, they all said they would prefer a regular burger next time/instead.  I think it was the flavoring of the liquid smoke that turned them off.  BUT it was still a really good burger and I might make it for them every once in a while.
1 pound ground beef or ground buffalo
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 slice whole wheat or white bread, broken into small pieces
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hamburger or steak seasoning
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 onion hamburger buns, split

Optional toppings: 
4 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
1/3 cup prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
4 slices red onion
1 large heirloom tomato, sliced

Combine first nine ingredients; mix lightly. Shape into four 3/4-in.-thick patties. Press patties into flour to lightly coat both sides.

In a large nonstick skillet (I grilled ours instead), cook burgers over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°, about 4-5 minutes per side. 

Layer bun bottoms with lettuce, burgers, salad dressing and onion and tomato slices. Replace bun tops. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment