Sunday, November 6, 2016

#1,836: Apple Cinnamon Wheat Berries

On our summer bucketlist this year was to get a new item from the Farmer's Market.  We've tried most fruits, vegetables, and herbs, so when we found these wheat berries, we knew this would be the thing to get and try.  I had no idea what wheat berries were when we bought them and figured that I would try making this healthy breakfast for the kids to try...and had very low expecations for them to like this because they are not oatmeal fans. And I generally don't like overnight crockpot oatmeal because it's too mushy for my liking.  

As expected, my kids didn't like this recipe.  I however, really enjoyed it.  Between the mild crunch of the wheat berries and the texture of the added almonds, this was right up my alley.  I halved this recipe and it made enough for 3 nice size breakfast servings.  I would definitely make this recipe again. 

4 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 1/2 cups wheat berries
1 cup apple juice or water
3 Braeburn or Gala apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sliced almonds
6 tablespoons sweetened dried cranberries

Coat a 4- to 5-1/2-quart slow-cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray. Combine almond milk, wheat berries, juice, apples, oats, cinnamon and salt in prepared slow cooker.

Cover and slow cook on LOW for 9 hours. Uncover and stir in brown sugar. Spoon into bowls and top with sliced almonds and cranberries. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment