Wednesday, November 2, 2016

#1,833: Stuffed Cheesy Calzone



A couple of weeks ago I found a recipe for homemade stuffed cheesy bread.  Although it sounded good, and easy, and something my family would like, I just don't have the time or patience for dough that is made with yeast.  So I kept avoiding the recipe.  Then I decided I could alter this recipe and make it even easier and something my family would like for a main dish...I was right!  My family loved this dinner and it was so stupid simple!  Here is the link to the original recipe (aka my inspiration).  Below is the recipe that I actually made:

2 tubes of refrigerated pizza crust
about 10 leftover homemade meatballs, chopped up (use whatever you have...ground sausage, pepperoni, etc).
pizza sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley 
Cornmeal (about 1/3 cup) 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; sprinkle with cornmeal. 

In a medium bowl, toss together cheeses, garlic powder, salt and parsley flakes. (Save some of this mixture for the top of the calzone)

Unroll one pizza crust on the parchment paper.  On half of the dough top with half of the leftover meatballs, and a big handful of the cheese mixture.  On the other half of the dough, spread a little bit of the pizza sauce.  Fold over the dough so the the two pieces come together to close and press lightly to seal or twist the edges to seal the dough in a pocket shape.  Repeat with the remaining dough, making a second calzone.  

You should still have some cheese mixture left over, set aside.  

Bake at 400 degrees until almost done, about 10 mintues.  Remove from oven, and sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the two calzones.  Place back in the oven until the cheese is melted on top and the calzone is a nice golden brown color. Let cool slightly before cutting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment