Sunday, November 6, 2016

#1,837: Cuccia (Wheatberry and Ricotta Porridge)

So we got some wheatberries at the farmer's market this summer and I finally got around to making something with them (see apple cinnamon wheatberry recipe here).  I still have quite a bit of wheatberries leftover and was hoping I could find something to make with it that incuded chocolate.  So I went to Google and came across this recipe!  I am so glad I did, and just so happened to have ricotta cheese on hand because of the ricotta meatballs I made!).  This was so simple and was totally done by the time my dinner was done with.  My kids thought it was ok, but didn't enjoy it enough to want to eat too much of it.  Although my 4 year old seemed to really love it...until I realized he was just picking out the chocolate chips!).  I however loved this.  I'm hoping it will last a few days in the fridge...although I'm enjoying this so much, I'm afraid it won't last until tomorrow!)  LOL! 

1 cup dried wheatberries
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups fresh whole-milk ricotta (I used low fat ricotta)
2 tablespoons (25g) granulated sugar (I used 1 tbsp)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon, for garnish
Dark chocolate, either miniature chips or shaved with a vegetable peeler or Microplane, for garnish

Place wheatberries in a medium saucepan, cover with water by 2 to 3 inches, and season with kosher salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce to a simmer, cooking uncovered until wheatberries are tender, about 50 to 60 minutes. Using a fine-mesh strainer, drain berries and run under cool water until chilled. Place strainer of berries over a large bowl and let drain for at least 15 minutes.

While wheatberries cook, combine ricotta, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Using a whisk or immersion blender, whip until creamy and smooth.

Fold cooled wheatberries into ricotta mixture. Cuccia may be served immediately or stored in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 week. To serve, spoon into individual bowls, dust with a pinch of cinnamon, and top with shaved chocolate or chocolate chips to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment