Sunday, November 6, 2016

#1,838: Ricotta Meatballs

As it is no surprise, we are a meatball loving, frequent-eating family.  Not because we love meatballs that much, but mainly because I can make them ahead of time and they are quite versitile.  Generally I make my meatballs using ground turkey, so they can get a little dried out sometimes.  Then I saw this recipe that uses ricotta cheese in the mixture and I though, let's give this one a try.  Typically I like to bake my meatballs to keep them a little healthier, but I was afraid the ricotta in this wouldn't do well in the oven, so I pan fried them like suggested.  I also tossed them in some spaghetti sauce to finish cooking just in case they weren't cooked all the way through (paranoid!).

My family loved these meatballs!  I definitely loved them too.  Next time I'm going to add a little crushed red pepper, garlic, and some italian seasoning to the mix, but other than that I'll make it the same way.  It's no surprise that meatball subs, spaghetti and meatballs, and meatball calzones are all on our menu this week now. :) 



¾ pound ground beef (I used ground turkey)
¾ pound ground pork 
½ cup ricotta
⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons milk
1 large egg, beaten (I used 2 egg yolks)
Kosher salt and black pepper

Mix together the beef, pork, ricotta, panko, onion, parsley, Parmesan, milk, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl until just combined.
Gently form into 30 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each). 

I totally skipped this step and made my meatballs right away! Transfer to an airtight container (separating the layers with parchment paper) and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 3 days (or freeze for up to 1 month). Store cooked and cooled meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

To cook: Cook the meatballs (in batches) in 2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 6 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment