Monday, September 1, 2014

#1,332: Veggie Loaded Paleo Turkey Chili


First of all, let me tell you how much I love this recipe.  It is SO good and I love all the veggies that are in it.  Next time I might even put more veggies (like the celery and mushrooms).  This is an excellent lunch and/or dinner, especially if you are doing a no/low carb/paleo-ish plan.  This was outstanding.

However, I had a slight issue.  When shaking chili powder into your pan, make sure it's on the "shake" side and not the "pour" side.  I had A TON of chili powder in mine and it is HOT.  PS...I don't like hot/spicy!  So I added more tomatoes, some water and a 8 oz can of tomato sauce to try and town this down a bit.  It helped, and it's still delicious, but it sure is a tad spicy.  

1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey (or ground beef)
1 green bell peppers, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped  (I omitted)
3 medium carrots, chopped
1 zucchini, quartered and chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes (I used a 14 oz can of petite diced  plus about a dozen chopped cherry tomatoes from my garden)
1 4oz can diced green chilis
1 tsp coconut oil
2 TBSP chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp honey (I omitted)
As explained above, I also added about 1 c water and 8 oz of tomato sauce

Chop the zucchini, bell pepper, carrots, onion, celery, and garlic and set aside 
Next, add the coconut oil to your pot and turn the heat to medium. Throw in the ground turkey and cook until it’s browned all the way through. Once the meat is ready, add your carrots and onions. Cover for about 3 minutes.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in the pot and stir.
Cover your pot and let the chili simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment