Sunday, February 23, 2014

#1,182: Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken (with Olives)

It is obvious from looking at the photo above that there is an ingredient missing from the title of this recipe.  No there were not olives in the chicken I cooked.  That would have really been pushing it to get my family to eat, and I wasn't even sure they were going to eat this anyway.  I'll be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to eat it either.  After getting the flu several years ago, I have a really hard time eating chicken in a tomato-based sauce (TMI...sorry!!).  So I omitted the olives.  And chopped up the chicken pretty fine and served it next to the spaghetti for the kids. 

They loved the spaghetti and the sauce.  They liked the chicken...but not with the spaghetti.  One of my kids asked to eat it again tomorrow....but just the spaghetti part.  :/  Brian ate his chicken chopped up and on a ciabatta roll, so his was more of a Parmesan chicken sandwich.  He's eating it again for lunch tomorrow so it must have been okay! 


Would I make this again for my family, probably not.  It was good, but we didn't love it enough to add to our menu rotation.  But it sure was easy and would be a great meal to serve to company because it looked like you spent a lot of time on it. 
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (14.5 oz)
1 onion thinly sliced
4- 6 garlic cloves, whole
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 T olive oil
12 pitted kalamata olives
palmful Italian herb mix (thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano)
ground black pepper and salt to taste
 
Pour the olive oil into the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Top each breast with sliced onion, garlic cloves and Italian herbs. Pour in vinegar, tomatoes and tomato sauce.  Cook on high about 4 hours.  (I put my chicken in frozen and cooked this for about 8 hours on low)
 
Remove chicken breasts, slice on the bias, and place back in the tomato/vinegar sauce. Add olives and let them warm through for about ten minutes. Serve over whole wheat spaghetti, polenta or your carb of choice. Sprinkle with grated parmesan or a little crumbled light feta.

According to the original website: The chicken/sauce (not the spaghetti/carb) 6 Weight Watchers Plus Points

No comments:

Post a Comment