Wednesday, February 12, 2014

#1,168: Chopped Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Shallot Dressing


I can't believe it's taken me so long to post this recipe.  I've made it so many times I was sure I already posted it.  I'm not joking when I say I've eaten it almost every day for lunch or dinner for three weeks.  I LOVE this salad.  SO good and so healthy!! 
 
Although I'm a huge fan of romaine lettuce and spinach, shredded brussel sprouts is becoming my "lettuce" of choice because I can shred the whole bag and then it stays fresh and crisp in a big bowl in the fridge for the week.  I just chop off the ends, pull off the outer leaves, wash, and then throw the whole thing into my food processor with the shred attachment.  So simple. 

Serves 6:
30-40 brussels sprouts (makes about 4 cups shredded)

6 slices bacon (not enough....try at least 1 lb!)
1 cup pomegranate arils
⅓ cup almonds, sliced or slivered
½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
 
For the dressing
1 shallot, chopped
juice of one orange
juice of one lemon
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (I used about 1/2 cup...I like my dressing creamy!)
⅓ cup oil
up to 2 tablespoons water
I also added a tbsp. of tahini and some minced garlic
Fry the bacon over low heat until crispy. Drain on paper towels; crumble and set aside.  Shred or slice the brussels sprouts.
 
Toss the brussels sprouts, bacon crumbles, pomegranate arils, almonds, and cheese together.
 
Place all the dressing ingredients in a food processor and pulse until creamy. Add the water as needed for consistency. Toss the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment