Sunday, February 16, 2014

#1,173: Spicy Barbecue Pulled Chicken


This recipe did not say it was spicy...but it was SO hot for my family (and I omitted the chipotle chili and used about 1/2 can of diced green chilies), that not only did I have to serve this to the kids in a quesadilla with a ton or rice and cheese, but one of my co-workers wouldn't eat it the next day because it was so hot.  Brian said the leftovers got even hotter.  Oh my. 

Now that we're past the "it's spicy" part of the review, the first night, this was really good.  I ate my chicken on top of some shredded brussel sprouts like a chicken taco salad.  Matthew (my almost 2 year old) cried after a few bites so I knew it must be hot for him, but it didn't stop him from eating it!  I think I'll cut back on the diced green chilies for my family next time. 

1 8-ounce can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
½ teaspoon salt
2½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
 
Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment