Sunday, February 23, 2014

#1,181: Corn Crisps

Mmmm...don't these little cornbread type things look good?!  They are.  But I can't decide if I should make them for the kids' upcoming birthday party or not since I'm also making two different types of cornbread.  I don't know if it's worth the effort/difference to make these as well.  My kids did not like these.  I, however, did enjoy it a lot.  I enjoyed them cold (but I like my food cold!) and reheated in the toaster oven. 
 
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I used a few dashes of hot sauce instead)
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 cups can or frozen corn, thawed if frozen
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
Canola or vegetable oil

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, cumin, sugar, and cayenne.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until they are just blended. Fold in the corn and scallions. 


Pour oil in large nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering.  For each crisp, drop a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter into the oil. Fry them in batches over medium-high heat until they are golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. (I did not use a lot of oil and flipped my corn crisps instead of submerging in a oil bath!) 

Transfer the crisps to a paper towel-lined sheet pan, sprinkling them immediately with a bit of salt. Repeat with the remaining batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment