Sunday, February 16, 2014

#1,172: Homemade Chicken and Dumplings


See those teeny-tiny dot on top of the "dumpling"/noodles in the photo on the bottom? That's the chicken.  Can you tell I don't like eating big chunks of chicken in my soup?!  I knew if I didn't make it super small my kids (and I) probably wouldn't eat it.  So I chopped it up super fine and snuck it in there.  Guess who loved this meal.....we ALL did.  Ok not my husband, but he wasn't home for dinner that night, so I'm back to saying we ALL did.  The girls GUSHED over how wonderful it way.  It could be because they helped me make the dumplings...which are basically noodles.  These are not dumplings in my opinion.  Doesn't matter though, they are still very, very good.  I didn't think this had enough flavor in the broth so I added some rosemary, a bay leaf and some parsley.  I will definitely make this again!


2 cups Flour
½ teaspoons Baking Powder 
1 pinch Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 cup Milk, A Bit Less Than A Full Cup
2 quarts Chicken Broth
3 cups Cooked Chicken

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender. Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
Heavily flour a work surface. 


Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin. Dip your cutter (I used a pizza cutter) in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 2″x2″. It’s okay for them not to be exact.  Use a floured spatula to put them on a heavily floured plate.  I put my dumplings between layers of wax paper.

To cook them, bring the broth to a boil. I also added about 1 tbsp. parsley, 2 sprigs of rosemary, and 1 bay leaf. 

Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them. The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth. Cook them for about 15-20 minutes or until they not doughy tasting. Add the cooked chicken to the pot and you’re done!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment