Sunday, February 16, 2014

#1,170: Nutty Butternut Squash Mash

I really, really wanted to like this recipe, and I think I would have, if I would have eaten it as a side dish instead of a main meal (breakfast).  This is good, and I liked it, but I didn't love it.  I ate it one day for breakfast and then I kept choosing other things to eat for breakfast the rest of the week until I eventually ended up throwing it out.  :(  It was just ok and I've had better.  It is very ginger-y, which I didn't mind, but if you don't like ginger, either omit this or you won't enjoy it.  Would I make this again, probably not. 

1 butternut squash
1 tablespoon grated ginger

1/2 teaspoon Vietnamese cinnamon (or cinnamon of choice)
1 tablespoon raw honey

1.5 tablespoon organic butter, melted
1/4 cup crushed pecans (I used sliced almonds)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Slice butternut squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Place flesh down in a lightly greased baking pan. Cook for 60 minutes.  Cool until easy to handle.

In a mixing bowl, scoop out the flesh of the butternut squash and discard the skins.  Add ginger, cinnamon, honey and butter.  Blend until smooth. Fold in nuts and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment