Saturday, January 18, 2014

#1,157: Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup

I enjoy chicken fajita soups, and you will notice that this isn't the first one I've made/tried on this blog.  I enjoyed this the first day I ate it, but after that, I found myself wishing I had brought something else for lunch.  Not that this recipe is bad, but I think I had way too much shredded chicken in it for my liking.  I would make this recipe again, especially because I liked the flavor and heat of the enchilada sauce in this recipe, but definitely need to tweak it a little for my liking/preferences. 
 
1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
(1) 20-oz can of diced tomatoes, with juice
4 cups of chicken stock
(1) 10-oz can of red enchilada sauce
(1) 4-oz can of chopped green chilies
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, chopped small
1/2 red and 1/2 green bell peppers, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced (optional)
1 jalepeno pepper, diced small
1 tbs of chili powder
1 1/2 tsp of paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano (dried)
1/2 tsp of cayenne
1 bay leaf
1 or 2 avocados, cubed (for topping)
2 limes, juice of
1/4 cup of cilantro, leaves chopped small

Combine everything in your crockpot EXCEPT: lime juice, cilantro and avocados.  Cook on low setting in crockpot for 5-6 hours.  Taste the stock during cooking and adjust seasoning as desired.  Once chicken is cooked through (internal temp: 160-degrees F), remove pieces and shred with a couple of forks and return shredded chicken to the crockpot.  Just before serving: Remove bay leaf, add cilantro, and the juice of two limes (about 1/4 cup).  Serve in soup bowls, top with avocado slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment