Saturday, January 4, 2014

#1,152: Hancock Salad


This recipe is supposed to be a paleo substitute for Caesar salad.  I'll admit, one thing I miss about paleo is the different salad dressings you can use to dress up your greens.  This recipe was very appealing since I love Caesar salads so much.  The only thing this salad is missing is some freshly shaved parmesan (which would obviously not be paleo, so I omitted).

This is not a salad I plan to make all the time because the cooking of the onions for 30 minutes is just too much for me.  Who has time for that?!

As a salad though, I LOVED this.  I added some crumbled bacon and peppers, but next time I'm going to load it up with more veggies.  And by next time, I mean dinner tonight...it's good!

1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed and separated into individual leaves 
4 slices bacon
3 caramelized onions, divided (Recipe follows)  
1 large clove garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 Tablespoons canned coconut milk
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Cook bacon until crispy; drain, crumble and set aside. In a blender, combine 1/4 cup caramelized onions (set the rest aside) and remaining ingredients. Toss your desired amount of dressing with the romaine, top with remaining caramelized onions and crumbled bacon before serving. 
Perfectly Caramelized Onions
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 Tablespoons butter
4 onions, halved and sliced thin
1 Tablespoon salt

Cut the onions in half and then slice thin. Heat butter and coconut oil in a heavy bottom skillet over high heat. Add onions and salt. Cook, stirring constantly for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 more minutes until golden brown and caramelized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment