Thursday, January 2, 2014

#1,148: Stuffed Pepper Soup (Paleo)

I love stuffed pepper soup, and this recipe is not only super healthy, you get in a ton of veggies in each serving.  I would have personally preferred to eat this with rice in it, but since I'm gluten-free right now, I substituted riced cauliflower instead.  I have to admit, I really, really liked this soup.  Super healthy and super low-carb!  I'm freezing several portions so I have pre-made lunches when we go back to school next week.  No excuses not to eat healthy!
 
3 cups cooked brown rice (I used about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of riced cauliflower instead)
1 lb 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup finely diced onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped

2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes
1 3/4 cups tomato sauce

2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried marjoram (I used Italian seasoning)

salt and fresh pepper to taste

In a large pot or dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt. Drain fat if any, reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment