Saturday, September 28, 2013

#1,090: Paleo Eggplant Lasagna


The real name of this recipe is "The Best Paleo Lasagna."  Guess what?  It is!  Holy cow is this delicious.  I changed the name of this recipe (for the sake of my blog and finding this recipe again) because I will forever think that I made an eggplant lasagna. This recipe is a little more labor intensive since it has a lot of steps, but it is SO worth it!

I decided to skip the nut/seed layer of this recipe because I didn't want the extra fat or calories AND I didn't want to have to buy that much at the grocery store.  Could that layer have made this better?  Possibly, but I loved it as is.

1lb of ground pork sausage
1lb of ground beef (I used ground turkey)
4 minced garlic cloves
1 chopped, large yellow onion
1 can of tomato sauce (8oz)
1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 can tomato paste (6oz)
1 tbsp oregano
2½ cups of frozen spinach
2 eggplants (sliced julienne)
1½ cup of raw walnuts (I omitted)
¾ cup of almond milk (I omitted)
½ cup of raw pumpkin seeds (I omitted)
½ tsp of nutmeg (I omitted)
¼ cup of warm water (I omitted)
Salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
  
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Cut your eggplants into halves diagonally and use a slicer to make them into thin strips.  Spray each strip with olive oil and put them on cook them on a baking sheet.  Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.  Cook the onion and garlic in the pan for about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and pork sausage and cook for another 3-4 minutes.  Add oregano and stir thoroughly.  Once the meat is cooked, add the tomatoes and the tomato sauce. Stir for aprox. 3 minutes.  Add the tomato paste in order to thicken the sauce.  Cover and simmer on low until all your eggplant is cooked and its ready to serve

Add your walnuts, pumpkin seeds, almond milk, nutmeg and water in a blender and blend them
 
Take your 13 x 9in Pyrex pan, spray with olive oil and place about half a cup of the meat sauce on the bottom. Spread ½ of your eggplant slices on top of the thin layer of tomato sauce.  Spreading evenly, add half of your spinach.  Add half of your walnut sauce.  Add a hefty portion of your meat sauce, about half of what you have left.  Repeat the above assembling order for the remainder of your ingredients.
 
Cook in the oven, uncovered for 45 minutes on 375 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment