Friday, September 20, 2013

#1,082: Paleo Breakfast Casserole


I've been meaning to post this recipe for a few weeks now and somehow I keep forgetting.  That doesn't mean I keep forgetting to remake this recipe though.  This is wonderful.  Or at least I love it.  Veggies, eggs, sausage...and it's a make ahead recipe?  What's not to love. 

As you can tell by the photo, I may have over cooked this a bit.  The second time I made this recipe I didn't add the cooked sausage right away so it didn't get over done.  It was much better that way.  About 1/3 of the way into the cooking time I added it on top.  Yum!

The recipe suggests putting the ground sausage into a blender like the Magic Bullet.  Only do this if you want TINY pieces of meat.  I prefer my meat that way so I liked it.  But if you like chunkier meat, don't do it.

2 small Sweet Potatoes
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Sausages (I used pork breakfast sausage)
½ Yellow Onion
4 Eggs
½ c Coconut Milk
¼ tsp Sage
Sea Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Grease a glass 8×8 inch baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grate the sweet potatoes (making hash browns) and then place them in the bottom of the greased dish.

Heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Chop the onion and sausage (put the sausage in a blender to break it apart) and add to the oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions are translucent.

Layer the sausage and onion on top of the sweet potatoes.

Put the eggs, sage, milk, ½ tsp of sea salt and ½ tsp of pepper into a blender and mix thoroughly. Pour this egg mixture on top of the sausage and onions.

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment