Tuesday, February 21, 2012

#498: Salsa Guacamole

Salsa Guacamole
I'm never going to get a good picture of this, so this photo is courtesy of Betty Crocker.
Recently I came across this recipe on Betty Crocker's website.  I love any sort of dip, so I knew it would be the perfect recipe to try for book club this month.  My only concern with this recipe is that is uses canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes.  I'm sure fresh would taste so much better, but I loved the convenience of this one. 

First of all, this makes a TINY bowl.  No way is this going to serve all of book club!  Fortunately there are 12 of us coming so there should be PLENTY of food...just not from this side dish.  :(  It was easy to make though. 

Update after book club: This was a hit with book club...and with me personally too.  I definitely enjoyed this although I do think I put too much red onion in it.  Next time I would buy 6 avocados so there is more guacamole than salsa. 

Salsa                               
1 can (14.5 oz) plain diced tomatoes, well drained

1/4 cup chopped onion (I used red onion)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 small fresh jalapeno chili, seeded, finely chopped (I forgot to buy some so I omitted)

Guacamole                               
3  ripe large avocados (about 1 1/2 lb) pitted, peeled
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce (I used a couple drops of hot sauce)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

In a medium bowl mix salsa ingredients.  Set aside.

In another medium bowl place avocados, and coarsely mash. Stir in remaining guacamole ingredients. 

Spoon guacamole into a shallow bowl and top with salsa.  Serve with tortilla chips.   

No comments:

Post a Comment