Sunday, February 12, 2012

#494: Deep Dish Pizza Casserole


Somehow I came across this recipe and wanted to make it as a meal to have in the freezer for a quick dinner after baby brother arrived.  I was a little leary about making this from frozen state so I figured we would try this recipe out before baby brother arrives and if we like it, I'll make another one to freeze. 

This was SO easy to prepare.  I changed up the recipe a little bit to make it easier though.  Not that it wasn't easy in the first place.  After making this, I think I'll make the meat filling and then just assemble the day we plan to eat it.  I don't know if the crust would thoroughly cook through (without getting too brown first) if it was totally frozen).

1 lb. ground round
1 (15 oz) can chunky Italian-style tomato sauce
(I used a can of pizza sauce)

1 (10 oz) can refrigerated pizza crust dough (mine was about 13 oz)
6 (1 oz) slices part skim mozzarella cheese (I used shredded cheese)

Spray 9x13 pan with PAM. Spread pizza crust on bottom. Mix the pizza sauce with the meat and stir to combine.  Spread on top of pizza crust.  Finally, top with mozzarella cheese.  Top with foil and freeze. Bake from frozen uncovered for about 25 minutes. Check the crust and make sure it is cooked thoroughly. (This did not say what temp. too cook it at, so I guessed at 375 degrees).

No comments:

Post a Comment