Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#374: Baked Onion Rings



I stumbled upon this recipe kind of by accident, but realized that I pretty much had all of the ingredients on hand to make it right away for dinner.  (Bonus!)  Although I liked this recipe, I can't say that I loved it or will be craving it.  My picture (and onions for that matter) do not look like the picture from the original blog.  Not sure if I did something wrong, or if it was my choice of onions, but the breading did not stick to my onions as well as I had hoped. 

1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
2 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup crushed corn flake crumbs
salt to taste (I omitted)
olive oil baking spray (I omitted)

Place slices of onion in a shallow bowl with, pour buttermilk over the onion, and let soak for 1-2 hours (refrigerated).  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Coat cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. 

Combine panko, bread crumbs and corn flakes in a large dish, season with salt.  Dip each soaked onion ring into the crumb mixture; coat well.  Place rings onto two cookie sheets.  Lightly spray with oil.  Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment