Sunday, September 4, 2011

#365: Spaghetti Pie

 Mmmm...this was a yummy dinner.  It was easy to make, I prepared it ahead of time and froze it until we were ready to use it, and it reheated in no time.  We served this with the pizza dough garlic bread we had a few night ago and it was a yummy, filling dinner.  We are definitely making this again.  AND my family had no idea I put sour cream in it!

1 pound lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (I omitted)
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained (I used about 1/2 c)
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste (I used tomato sauce)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese (I used about 1/8 c sour cream and then topped it with 3 mozzarella slices)
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I used grated Parmesan)

In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.  Drain.  Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt, garlic powder, sugar and pepper.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the spaghetti, butter, egg whites and Parmesan cheese.  Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.  Top with cottage cheese and beef mixture.  Sprinkle mozzarella on top.  Cover pie pan with foil; label and freeze.

To Serve: Thaw. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes at 350 F. Remove foil and bake for 5 minutes more until cheese is lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment