Tuesday, June 26, 2018

#2,721: Instant Pot Gluten Free Meatballs



I found this recipe for gluten free meatballs which uses one of my favorite ingredients (corn tortillas!) in it's recipe.  I decided to give these meatballs a try with very low expectations from my family (I really should have more faith in them!).  I also didn't want to bake these and figured there had to be a way to cook them in my Instant Pot so I set out to Google to try and find some ideas on how to make these.  Below you will find the original recipe which gives instructions on how to bake these in the oven.  I'll also add what I did in the instant pot.  We've enjoyed these so much I've actually made these twice already.  Once we ate these as meatball subs and once with spaghetti (ok, I even ate it over ramen  (as you can see in the photo) when we ran out of spaghetti noodles!)...totally negates the gluten free aspect of it, but that's just how we ate them.  I still have some meatballs leftover so I'm going to chop them up and make a skillet lasagna with it tomorrow!   


2 (6-in.) corn tortillas, torn into pieces (I actually used 3 tortillas)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 small shallot, chopped (about 1½ Tbsp.) (I used a yellow onion and used about ¼ of one) 
1 pound 80/20 ground beef
2 tablespoons heavy cream (I used 2% milk)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Jar of spaghetti sauce (only if using the Instant Pot method)


Place tortillas, shallot, and parsley in a food processor; process until fine crumbs form and shallot and parsley are finely chopped, about 1 minute.  Gently stir together tortilla mixture, ground beef, cream, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well blended. Shape mixture into 16 (2-inch) meatballs.  See oven or instant pot instructions for next steps:

Original instructions for the oven:
Preheat broiler to HIGH with oven rack 6 inches from heat. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet and broil until cooked through and browned, about 7 minutes.

Instant Pot Instructions:
Pour a little bit of olive oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot.  Layer the meatballs (uncooked) into the bottom of the Instant Pot, stacking them on top of one another if needed.  Pour the entire jar of sauce over the meatballs.  Add another 1 cup of water to the instant pot as well.  Cover and cook on manual high pressure for 7 minutes.  When the Instant Pot is done, let it sit for another 10 minutes, and then release the rest of the pressure. 

The first time I made this, the sauce was perfect.  The second time it was a little watery still, so I just put the Instant Pot on sautee for about 10 minutes (with the lid partially on so it would stop splattering all over the place!) and it thickened up to my liking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment