Friday, June 15, 2018

#2,707: Blueberry, Corn, and Feta Salad


I was a little scared to try this recipe because I am not a fan of fruit mixed with my veggies.  My mom "apparently" makes a great strawberry kiwi spinach salad, but I hate having those fruits in with my spinach.  I end up picking out all of the fruit and eating around it.  So when this recipe called for blueberries I figured I'd probably pick them out too.  But in order to really get a good feel for this recipe I decided to push past my initial reaction of avoiding them and gave it a real effort.  I'll admit, although I still prefer no fruit in my salad, this was really good.  The berries aren't overpowering and give this corn salad a tiny bit of sweetness.  The berries soften up a little bit too from the heat of the corn so you don't notice them as much as you'd think.  I would definitely eat (and make) this recipe again.  Oh, and although I like chives, I didn't have any on hand, so I just substituted green onion instead.  Still good!  

8 medium ears sweet corn
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives, plus more for garnish (I used green onion)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Carefully peel back corn husks to within 1 in. of bottoms; remove silk. Rewrap corn in husks; secure with kitchen string. Place in a stockpot; cover with cold water. Soak 20 minutes; drain.
Grill corn, covered, over medium heat about 20 minutes or until tender, turning often. Cut string and peel back husks. Cool slightly. Cut corn from cobs; transfer to a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, chives, salt and pepper. Pour over corn; toss to coat. Gently fold in blueberries and feta. Garnish with additional chives if desired. Yield: 10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment