Thursday, January 26, 2012

#480: Brown Paper Bag Popcorn


Several weeks ago I saw a blog about making popcorn in the microwave using plain popcorn kernels and a brown paper lunch bag.  I LOVE popcorn.  The girls LOVE popcorn.  So I was very excited to try this.  Unfortunately I didn't have any brown paper lunch bags here so I had to put this recipe off.  Eventually I brought some home from school and today we tried this out for lunch.  I saw an Alton Brown recipe which uses olive oil and popcorn salt so that's the recipe I decided to try first. 

Let me tell you why I love this recipe...you put the salt on BEFORE popping the kernels so it wonderfully coated each piece of popcorn!!  I planned to eat this for lunch but once again the girls confiscated it before I could eat it and I had to make a second bag.  (This seems to be a reoccurring theme lately.)


The original recipe says to staple the bag shut.  1.  I don't like the thought of that in my microwave.  2.  I just folded the bag over twice and it was just fine!

This tasted just like flavored air popped popcorn, but the popped kernels were really quite dry, so the olive oil doesn't make it greasy at all.

1/4 cup good quality popcorn (I used generic)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or popcorn salt (I used ranch salt)
Sprinkle jalapeno seasoning mix (I omitted)
Paper lunch bag

Toss the popcorn with the olive oil, salt, and jalapeno seasoning mix in the paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over and staple the bag twice to close. Place the bag in the microwave and microwave on high for 2 minutes to 3 minutes, or until there are about 5 seconds between pops.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tracy,

    I was having a coffee this morning and stumbled on the article you wrote: Brown Paper Bag Popcorn.

    Great stuff! I really like your idea that we can have a incredible date night at home.

    It's funny, I actually recently published a Step-By-Step guide about Popcorn Recipe that I think it might be a nice addition to your post :

    https://veggiesecret.com/popcorn-recipes/

    Let me know what you think :D

    Cheers,

    Laura.

    ReplyDelete