Saturday, January 7, 2012

#465 Carrot-Ginger Salad

I decided to throw this together at the last minute as a vegetable side dish to go with our dinner. Chloe is a huge carrot fan, but wouldn't try this one. I, however, LOVED it. I will definitely make this again, and will absolutely make this to take for lunches during the week. I made some changes to the original recipe (shocking!), but only to make this easier and faster for me.

I also didn't shred my carrots, I just threw a bunch of baby carrots into my food processor and ground them up into little pieces.


Salad:
1/2 cup slivered almonds (I used walnuts)
1/2 cup golden raisins (I omitted only because I didn't have any on hand)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 pound carrots, shredded (about 5 medium carrots)
Dressing:
1/3 cup rice vinegar (I used raspberry blush vinegar)
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger (I omitted)
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup canola oil (I used olive oil)

Make salad: (I skipped this step) Place almonds in a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until light golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl and let cool.

(I also skipped this step) Put raisins and cranberries in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Drain.

Transfer drained raisins and cranberries to a large bowl and toss with carrots.

Make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Add to bowl with carrot mixture and toss to evenly coat vegetables with dressing. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Just before serving, toss in almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment