Saturday, January 21, 2012

#471: Baked Potato Cheddar Soup



I had planned on making a slow cooker baked potato soup recipe, but didn't put it in the crockpot on time, so it wasn't going to be done until the middle of the night. :)  I could have just gotten up during one of my 15 nightly bathroom breaks, but decided against it and made this stove top one instead.  It was VERY easy to make.  It's more floury/milk based rather than cheese based, but I still really, really enjoyed this.
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 large potatoes, baked, peeled and coarsely mashed (I didn't mash mine, I just cut it into small pieces)
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I used more like 3/4 c cheese)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
Crumbled cooked bacon, optional (I used turkey bacon)
In a large saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the potatoes, 1/3 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/4 cup onions until blended. Cover; cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with remaining cheese, onions and bacon if desired. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment