Saturday, January 21, 2012

#474: Lentil-Chickpea Chili


I'm always on the lookout for healthy, easy, filling lunches to make, particularly ones that I have most of the ingredients on hand.  I had a bag of lentils sitting in my pantry for a little while and figured this would be a good recipe to use them up.  This is really yummy!  I threw some elbow noodles into the bowl and added some cheddar on top...mmm.  I hope I still enjoy eating it after 4 or 5 meals of it.  The chickpeas added at the end give it a nice texture-y crunch and the cilantro is so fresh and inviting you to eat another bite.  Loving it so far!

6 cups vegetable stock or broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (I omitted)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (I used crush red pepper)
1 teaspoon salt
1 16 ounce bag red lentils (I used regular brown lentils)
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 sweet onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, diced (I omitted)
3 garlic cloves, diced
2 bay leaves
2 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Flatbread (such as Stonefire naan, optional)

Whisk together stock, tomato paste, mustard, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt in the base of a slow cooker. Stir in lentils, diced tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.  Stir in chickpeas and cilantro. Serve with flatbread, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment