Saturday, December 17, 2011

#456: Pea and Scallion Mashed Potatoes


Okay, I really shouldn't call this "Pea and Scallion" because I didn't have any scallion so there isn't any in the photo above.  But regardless, I found this recipe in my current issue of Real Simple Magazine.  I love their Quick Takes Food section where they give you 10 ideas for one food ingredient.  In this case, it was mashed potatoes.  Now I know they didn't expect you to use potato flakes, but that's what we had, and we had a lot of leftovers in the fridge, so I decided to make this for my lunch. 

Of course, I also added real bacon bits to mine...shocked, I know!  Overall, I really enjoyed this.  The sour cream gave it a nice creamy consistency and I love peas and bacon, so there's no going wrong there.  No one else in my family would ever eat this, but at least I have a way to eat the leftovers now!

2 1/2 pounds red new potatoes (about 25; peeled if desired), cut into 2-inch chunks
kosher salt and black pepper
1 10-ounce package frozen peas
1 cup sour cream
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up
2 scallions, sliced
Real bacon bits (as much as you like!)

Place the potatoes in a large pot and add 2 teaspoons salt and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the peas, cook for 30 seconds more, then drain and return the potatoes and peas to the pot. 
Add the sour cream, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the potatoes and mash to the desired consistency. Fold in the scallions and bacon bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment