Tuesday, December 6, 2011

#442: Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup


I came across a new blog today which had a recipe for
chicken tortilla soup (Thanks Miller Musings!).  I have a slightly different crockpot chicken tortilla soup which I love to make, but figured it would be a good time to try a different recipe AND I had all of the ingredients on hand except for the cilantro.  This is super, super yummy and I am really enjoying eating this for lunch this week.  Baby brother however is not enjoying this as much so I'm also enjoying 2 tums after each meal.  Totally worth it though.

2 chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans Ro-Tel (I used petite diced)

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used pinto beans)

1 can corn (I used 1 c frozen corn)
1 onion, chopped
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups of water
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp dried cilantro
tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese

Put chopped onion, cans of beans, rotel, corn, chicken broth, water, chicken, and spices in crockpot and stir to mix.  Cook on high 6-7 hours or low 8-9 hours.  Before serving remove the chicken breasts from soup and shred.  Return chicken to crockpot and stir to combine.

To serve, top soup with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, avocado (if desired) and a dollop of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment