Sunday, December 11, 2011

#452: Crockpot Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats


Another week, another steel cut oat recipe.  :)  I was really looking forward to eating this for breakfast this morning.  Every time I woke up in the middle of the night (which is often!) I thought about this cooking and almost came down to check on it.  This is the one time I should have, because the timer never turned on!  :(  SO SAD!  So I had to wait and eat it a little later instead. 

Allison and I both really enjoyed eating this for breakfast.  Chloe was not a fan.  I will be enjoying this all week for breakfast!

2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
1-1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground flax seed (I omitted)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter

Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment