Sunday, November 19, 2017

#2,021: Tuscan Kale and Farro Soup

I've made several recipes using farro, and I absolutely love this nutty grain.  Its texture is a little chewy after it's cooked, and it holds up well in soups (although it will still soak up a lot of the juice).  I found this recipe from Rachel Ray and absolutely fell in love with it.  I didn't add the beans, but added a handful of corn instead.  I have farro on my grocery list again next week because I used it all up this week!  

1 1/2 cups pearled farro, rinsed (I used 1 cup)
1/4 cup olive oil (I used about 2 tbsp)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
2 carrots, thinly sliced crosswise
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 8 ounce bunch tuscan kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 15 ounce can cannellini beans (I omitted and used about 1 cup of frozen corn instead)
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
salt and pepper

In a large pot of boiling, salted water, add the farro and cook at a gentle simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Reserve 4 cups of the cooking water, then drain the farro in a colander.

Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil and the garlic over medium-low heat until the garlic is softened, about 3 minutes. With a wooden spoon, press down on the garlic to release its flavor; do not brown. Add the carrots and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the kale and 1/4 cup water, cover the pot and cook until wilted, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cannellini beans and their liquid, the diced tomatoes and their juices, the parsley and crushed red pepper. Lower the heat, cover partially and gently simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the drained farro and 3 cups of the reserved cooking water to the soup; add the final cup of cooking water if desired to thin the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat. 

(I omitted this step) Ladle into bowls and drizzle about 1 tbsp. olive oil over each serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment