Sunday, November 19, 2017

#2,020: Cauliflower Soup with Farro


I had a bunch of veggies and a little bit of farro that I wanted to use up and make a soup for my lunches this week.  So I threw a whole bunch of ingredients together to make this really healthy, super delicious soup!  I love when I use up ingredients to make something delicious.  

2 tablespoons olive oil extra-virgin
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 cup baby carrots, cut into small circles (I cut some in half too if they were bigger carrots)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can of petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 small head of cauliflower cut into small florets
3 large kale leaves, stems removed, and chopped
4 cups chicken broth (I used 2 large boullion cubes and 4 cups of water)
1/4 cup pearled farro, rinsed (this is all I had left, but I would probably use 1 cup next time!)
1 cup frozen peas

In a large pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, cauliflower, and garlic. Cook, stirring a few times until the vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the thyme, basil, parsley, salt, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and stir to combine with the vegetables.

Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add the farro and kale.  Cover and cook on medium-low for about 20 minutes or until the carrots, cauliflower, and farro are all cooked to desired texure.  Add the peas, keep the lid off, and continue cooking over medium-low heat for another 5 minutes.  

Season with pepper if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment