Sunday, March 8, 2015

#1,469: Biscuit Topped Pizza Casserole


I had about 1 lb of ground turkey to use up and a bunch of random ingredients in the fridge, so I decided to create my own meal out of it.  Thankfully the family LOVED it...so much so, the 8x8 pan was completely gone after dinner!  (Literally there was nothing left!)  I will definitely be making this one again!  It's so versatile too...add in whatever pizza toppings you normally enjoy or whatever you have in the house (at least that's what happened in my case!)

1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef)
1/2 onion, diced
12-15 oz pizza sauce
1 tbsp Italian seasoning (or to taste)
1/2 tbsp dried oregano (or to taste)
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 cups of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1 1/2 cans of buttermilk biscuits (or get an 8 count and a 4 count one...I just used half of the second can for this recipe and made the extra biscuits for my family to eat)
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp melted butter

1 tbsp garlic powder (or to taste)

Additional add-ins (I did not do this b/c I didn't have any pepperoni and my family wouldn't have eaten anything else that I like): diced bell peppers, pepperoni slices, sliced olives, mushrooms, etc. 

In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onion and ground meat, breaking up the meat and cooking until it is no longer pink.  Once cooked, add the Italian seasoning, dried oregano, garlic and pizza sauce.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  I added about 12 oz of pizza sauce, but you can definitely add more or less depending on how "saucy" you like your meat.  If you have any other add-in pizza toppings add them at this point too.  

Lightly grease and 8x8 pan with non-stick spray and pour the pizza sauce meat mixture into the pan. 

Sprinkle the shredded Monterrey Jack cheese on top.  (You could also add mozzarella or whatever you have on hand).
Cut the biscuits into quarters and place on top of the meat mixture, placing the biscuits right next to each other to cover the entire top of the meat.  (See photo on right).

Brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter.  Sprinkle the biscuits with Parmesan cheese and garlic powder.  

Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for about 15-18 minutes or until biscuits are browned and cooked through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment