Sunday, November 3, 2013

#1,109: Apple Cranberry Sweet Potato Bake

I made this recipe for book club, but honestly, I was just looking for an excuse to make it.  This makes a HUGE 9x13 pan...and after I made it, I decided if I took it to book club I would be the only one eating it.  This is okay.  It needs a lot more flavor and/or seasoning of some kind.  I ended up eating this for breakfast with some toasted cashews on top for texture.  I thought I would hate the cranberries, but I loved them.  Next time, if I make this I'm going to bake the sweet potatoes for half the time, then add the cranberries and apples.  The sweet potatoes were slightly undercooked while the fruit was very OVER cooked.

6 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 apples, diced
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
2 Tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
A pinch of sea salt
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease the inside of a large casserole dish with coconut oil or ghee. Peel the sweet potatoes and apples. Chop into uniform pieces, 1/2″ dice. Place half the chopped sweet potato/apple into the dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cranberries, half the cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Repeat with remaining sweet potato, apple, cranberry, cinnamon and salt. Dot the top with small pieces of ghee or coconut oil. Bake covered  for 1 hour or until the potato and apple have softened.

No comments:

Post a Comment