Sunday, November 3, 2013

#1,114: Hearty Butternut Squash Soup

This soup is DELICIOUS!  I decided to make it after one of my coworkers came with squash soup last week.  I loved this!  I have enjoyed it twice now and cannot wait to eat it again. Definitely make this one!
 
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped (I omitted)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, divided
4 cups water
1 tablespoon chicken base
2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained (I omitted)
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained (I used petite diced)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Heavy whipping cream and minced fresh parsley, optional (I omitted)
In a stockpot, cook sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat for 9-11 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; discard drippings. 

Add squash, 1-1/2 cups corn, water and chicken base to same pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender

No comments:

Post a Comment